Subject: bug#17338: bug#17391: Bug#745553: emacs24-el: mml2015-always-trust should default to nil, not t

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 03:49:03 +0100

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu 2017-01-26 14:34:22 -0500, Daiki Ueno wrote:
>> Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> The mml code is based on EasyPG by Daiki Ueno (cc’ed).  EasyPG makes
>>> use of sub-keys and their IDs for encryption commands, instead of
>>> relying on GnuPG’s selections.
>>
>> It was suggested by Werner to do key selection in Emacs, like GPGME.  I
>> don't know whether GPGME changed the logic though.
>
> I don't know what this means -- i don't think that GPGME itself does key
> selection.  Can you tell me more?

My wording might be confusing; let me rephase: I don't think GPGME has a
means of using GnuPG's selections, which the applications can rely on.

EasyPG is modelled after GPGME, and Gnus is an application using it,
thus it is a responsiblity of Gnus to select usable keys by itself.

> Presumably users who use emacs with gpg also use gpg with other tools
> (possibly even other MUAs), or even gpg on its own. Collecting key
> preference data in multiple places while sharing the underlying key
> store seems like a recipe for synchronization problems and confusing
> behavior, particularly for folks who don't know how the tools fit
> together.

If there is the means to do that in GPGME now, yes, it would be nice for
EasyPG to provide a similar mechanism which can be used from Gnus.
Otherwise, IMO, neither EasyPG nor Gnus should try to do the selection
by calling gpg directly, even if it could be useful.

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno