Subject: bug#17307: 24.3.90; find-dired

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:53:45 +0200

----

The regular expression `ls-regexp' does not match any line produced by
`find <directory> -ls'
Not on my system anyway, which is gnu/linux Debian sid.

The function is supposed to pad the 'number of blocks' and 'size' fields, but
the regex captures the second and fifth non-empty fields in a line. The
fifth entry, however corresponds with the 'user' field, which is not
normally numeric, unless either numerical group names are used, or
the internal numerical user ID can not be translated to a non-numeric
user ID because it references a user theat does not exist on the
system - it comes from another system via cp, rsync, tar,
etc... - without converting the group number.

On top of that, the function tries to pad fields to a size that they
already have. I suppose the `ls' has been modified in the past to
accommodate larger fields. Correcting ls-regexp to capture the correct
'size' field will only lead to extra processing without any results.  

This is not specific to the emacs release I am using. The problem is
probably there for a long time already.

----

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2014-04-17 on medion-vg10-sid
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 3 M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-odt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-odt
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-id hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-agenda hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-R hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-R
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-beamer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-makefile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-w3m hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-ctags hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-ctags
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-irc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-shen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-shen
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macro hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-macro
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-awk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-awk
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-capture hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-exp
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-entities hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-entities
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-faces hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-js hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-js
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-src hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scala hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-scala
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-latex
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-man hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-man
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-org
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-clock hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-eshell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-eshell
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-eval hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-eval
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-java hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-java
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-archive hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-md hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-md
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-icalendar hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-datetree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-docview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-docview
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mhe hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-feed hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-rmail hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-screen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-screen
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-calc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-calc
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-gnus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-protocol hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-css hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-css
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-timer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mobile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-habit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-publish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-publish
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-comint hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-comint
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-lob
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-indent hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sql hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-sql
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-version hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-version
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-org
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-texinfo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-loaddefs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-crypt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-io hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-io
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-keys hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-keys
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-plot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-C hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-C
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-html hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-html
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-core hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-core
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-footnote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-perl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-perl
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-ref
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-element hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-element
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-attach hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-table
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mouse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-colview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-latex
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-info hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/org-info
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-octave hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-octave
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-dot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-dot
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sass hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-sass
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-python hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ob-python
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-ascii hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.90/lisp/org/ox-ascii

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils info package wombat-theme winner ring savehist
windmove find-dired dired-x easymenu dired better-defaults paren edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib saveplace ido init-benchmarking advice
help-fns time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 105495 7282)
 (symbols 48 20074 1)
 (miscs 40 119 121)
 (strings 32 28928 8086)
 (string-bytes 1 736926)
 (vectors 16 17834)
 (vector-slots 8 1153412 191547)
 (floats 8 121 70)
 (intervals 56 205 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 45758 1331))