Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Minibuffer for M-x dired broken

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 21:45:04 +0200

On 2008-05-02 19:20 +0200, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Start Emacs somewhere, e.g. in your home directory, and type C-x d
>>> /usr.  The original part of the filename is not greyed out as it's
>>> supposed to be with file-name-shadow-mode enabled, and if you press RET,
>>> you get an error message:
>>> 
>>> Reading directory: no such file or directory, /home/sven/usr
>
> Thanks, should be fixed now,

Yes, thank you (closing bug #173).  BTW, I just discovered your comments
on bug #153.  They missed me because

a) you did not CC me, and I am not subscribed to the Emacs bug tracker;

b) I did not even know that I submitted a bug report (it was just a
   question sent to emacs-devel, and you seem to have resent it to
   [email-masked]).

I do quite like the latest completion code, but can imagine that other
people might find it a bit confusing.  Also, if a directory has no
non-trivial subdirectories, C-x d TAB completes to . and .., which is
probably less useful than immediately listing all possible file name
completions.

Sven