Subject: bug#17299: 24.4.50; `C-h f' for alias is wrong

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 08:15:28 -0700 (PDT)

emacs -Q

(defun rn (prompt &optional default) (message "RN"))
(defalias 'read-number 'rn)

C-h f read-number

,----
| read-number is an alias for `rn' in `subr.el'.
| 
| (read-number PROMPT &optional DEFAULT)
| 
| Not documented.
`----

It is incorrect to refer to `subr.el' at all.  There is nothing in
`subr.el' that is related to the current definition of `read-number'.
This misleads users.  Better not to send users anywhere than to send
them to the wrong definition of the function.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-04-16 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116980 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''