Subject: Re: 24.3.90; ELPA : "make" makes an error compiling ada-build.el

From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:41:00 +0200

Stephen Leake <[email-masked]> writes:
> Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I cloned the elpa git repo, ran "make externals" and "make", then got:
>
> I get:
>
> packages/ada-mode/ada-build.el:41:1:Error: Cannot open load file: wisi

Perhaps I have mixed the error messages from my different tries ? Not
sure.

Anyway, the error I reported is because wisi-compat did not exist in my
tree (sorry I did not state that clearly). My HEAD was at 0c8e3a1. I
updated my tree and the file now exists so I guess the error has
disappeared. I just tried : indeed, I don't have the error anymore (my
HEAD is 1905244ada36189d940fdf7e40d3498ae8917fed). I'm thus closing this
bug.

>> In toplevel form:
>> packages/ada-mode/ada-build.el:41:1:Error: Cannot open load file:
>> aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type, wisi-compat-24.2
>> make[1]: *** [packages/ada-mode/ada-build.elc] Erreur 1
>> make[1] : on quitte le répertoire « /home/youngfrog/sources/elpa »
>> make: *** [all-in-place] Erreur 2
>
> Apparently this make process does not take into account inter-package
> dependencies; ada-mode depends on wisi, and both were upgraded this
> morning.

The upgrade fixed the problem for me. Thanks.

> Do you have an older version of 'wisi' installed in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/?
> That would explain your symptom.

I don't, and I have a local patch so that ~/.emacs.d/elpa is not used
(see bug#17291) so it should not have interfered.

> Is there any way to indicate to the make process that it must build wisi
> first, and add it to the load path when building ada-mode?

IIUC, it does not necessarily byte-compile wisi first, but since the
build process invokes (package-initialize), wisi should still be
available (uncompiled) at the moment ada-mode is byte-compiled.

-- 
Nico.