Subject: bug#17291: 24.3.90; Doing "make" in elpa branch uses the user's ~/.emacs.d

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:24:00 -0400

>> EMACS -f batch-byte-compile packages/ack/ack.el
>> The reason is that the actual command line (which is unfortunately not
>> shown on the screen)
> I voiced a similar concern before, but Stefan didn't want to change
> the output. Showing some but not all flags and arguments gives the
> false impression of showing the precise Emacs invocation. I think it
> ought to show the full invocation.

I'm indeed opposed to showing the whole command because it's too long,
making the output even harder to read (in the "normal" case where
you're looking for byte-compiler errors and warnings).

But it could be improved in 2 ways:
- change the current output so it give less the illusion of being
  a real command.
- provide some option to show the real command.

As for Nicolas's suggestion to "disable" ~/.emacs.d/elpa, I think it
makes sense, since we already use --batch which disables ~/.emacs.
So feel free to install his patch.

        Stefan