Subject: bug#17289: 24.4.50; Build failure (Fedora 20)

From: Mattia Ziulu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:33:51 +0200

I've been unable to build emacs, tracking the official git repo,
since Monday 14. I usually create a new 'build' directory inside the
clone and from there issue the configure command with the flags reported
below.

../configure --prefix=/opt/mattia --enable-link-time-optimization
--with-file-notification=inotify

This is the compile error:

gcc -std=gnu99 -Demacs  -I. -I../../src -I../lib -I../../src/../lib   -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include  -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/alsa    -I/usr/include/libxml2  -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include    -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include  -pthread -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include  -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -I/usr/include/freetype2    -MMD -MF deps/.d -MP -I/usr/include/p11-kit-1     -g3 -O2 -flto=4 -flto=4  -Wl,-znocombreloc   \
  -o temacs  vm-limit.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o cm.o term.o terminal.o xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o xsmfns.o xsettings.o gtkutil.o emacsgtkfixed.o dbusbind.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o unexelf.o bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o inotify.o profiler.o decompress.o     xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o  fontset.o fringe.o image.o   terminfo.o lastfile.o      ../lib/libgnu.a       -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lgif -lXpm -lgtk-3 -lgdk-3 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -latk-1.0 -lcairo-gobject -lcairo -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0  -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXrender -lXft  -lasound    -lacl    -lrt  -ldbus-1   -lXrandr  -lXinerama  -lxml2  -lgpm   -ltinfo  -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0  -lgconf-2 -lglib-2.0  -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0  -lselinux -lfreetype  -lfontconfig -lfreetype    -lgnutls  -lpthread   -lm -lz
/tmp/ccbvZSZ2.ltrans14.ltrans.o: In function `x_menu_wait_for_event.isra.6':
/opt/mattia/usr/local/src/emacs/build/src/../../src/xmenu.c:260: undefined reference to `xg_select'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [temacs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/mattia/usr/local/src/emacs/build/src'
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/mattia/usr/local/src/emacs/build'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

A GTK2 build does not present the error (as expected).

----

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix