Subject: bug#17285: 24.3.90: EDIFF fails with 'Wrong type argument: lisp' in ediff-set-fine-diff-properties

From: Charles Rendleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:41:53 -0400

[0:drdws0066:~]$ mkdir a
[0:drdws0066:~]$ cd a
[0:drdws0066:a]$ echo "This is file one" > f1
[0:drdws0066:a]$ echo "This is file two" > f2
[0:drdws0066:a]$ diff f1 f2
1c1
< This is file one
---
> This is file two
[0:drdws0066:a]$ EMACSLOADPATH=: emacs -Q -nw
...
M-x ediff-files
f1, f2

Message buffer contains:
Computing differences between f1 and f2 ...
Buffer A: Processing difference region 0 of 1
Buffer B: Processing difference region 0 of 1
Processing difference regions ... done
Refining difference region 1 ...
ediff-set-fine-diff-properties: Wrong type argument: listp, [#<overlay from
14 to 17 in f1>]
Quit this Ediff session? (y or n) y
[

[In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1)
 of 2014-04-15 on drdws0066.nyc.desres.deshaw.com
System Description:     CentOS release 5.9 (Final)

Configured using:
 `configure
 --prefix=/u/nyc/rendlemc/dpr-centos5/Linux/x86_64/emacs/24.3.90-09A
 --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/libxml2/2.7.3-05/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/gtkplus/2.22.1-06A/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/dbus/1.2.16-03A/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ncurses/5.7-05A/include/ncurses
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/jpeg/6b-03/shared/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/tiff/3.9.4-01A/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/zlib/1.2.7-10A/shared/include
 -I/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ImageMagick/6.7.8-2-01/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/libxml2/2.7.3-05/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/libxml2/2.7.3-05/lib
 -Wl,-rpath,/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/gtkplus/2.22.1-06A/lib
 -Wl,-rpath,/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/dbus/1.2.16-03A/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ncurses/5.7-05A/lib
 -L/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ncurses/5.7-05A/lib
 -Wl,-rpath,/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/jpeg/6b-03/shared/lib
 -Wl,-rpath,/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/tiff/3.9.4-01A/lib
 -L/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/zlib/1.2.7-10A/shared/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/zlib/1.2.7-10A/shared/lib
 -Wl,-rpath,/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ImageMagick/6.7.8-2-01/lib
 -L/proj/desres/root/Linux/x86_64/ImageMagick/6.7.8-2-01/lib''

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: :
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 1 ; 1 4 0 0 ; 0 c ESC x e d i f f - b DEL f
i l e s RET f 1 RET f 2 RET n q y ESC x r e p o r t
- e m C-g ESC x r e p o r t - e m TAB RET

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Reading file /u/nyc/rendlemc/a/f1 ...
Reading file /u/nyc/rendlemc/a/f2 ...
Computing differences between f1 and f2 ...
Buffer A: Processing difference region 0 of 1
Buffer B: Processing difference region 0 of 1
Processing difference regions ... done
Refining difference region 1 ...
ediff-set-fine-diff-properties: Wrong type argument: listp, [#<overlay from
14 to 17 in f1>]
Quit this Ediff session? (y or n) y
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff xterm
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 84838 5971)
 (symbols 48 18953 0)
 (miscs 40 41 135)
 (strings 32 12299 5061)
 (string-bytes 1 402557)
 (vectors 16 8130)
 (vector-slots 8 344363 16371)
 (floats 8 76 273)
 (intervals 56 266 0)
 (buffers 960 15)
 (heap 1024 138147 590))