Subject: bug#17272: bug#19064: bug#17272: bug#19064: 25.0.50; `message' overwrites `y-or-n-p' prompt, so user misses it

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:55:04 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> The first case is when doing completion, the message
> "Making completion list..." is displayed in the minibuffer
> for 2 seconds. I don't understand why this message is needed at all,
> but at least this patch restores its previous behavior
> that displays that message in the echo area and doesn't wait.

Perhaps some completion functions can take a lot of time, so we message
preemptively?  We do a lot of the "just in case" messaging in Emacs,
unfortunately.

(There's a wishlist bug report in the bug tracker to add something like

  (with-delayed-message (0.5 "This sure is taking long...")
    (here-is-some-code))

that would only do the message if the body of the form takes longer than
the timeout.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no