Subject: bug#17258: closed (Re: autogen.sh doesn't update stale autoconf files in build-aux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 05:46:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17258: autogen.sh doesn't update stale autoconf files in build-aux

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17258: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17258
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: autogen.sh doesn't update stale autoconf files in build-aux
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:45:15 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In trunk bzr 116975 I changed autogen.sh to use autoreconf's -f option, 
which should fix the bug.  -f won't hurt in the typical case when 
autogen.sh is being invoked in freshly checked-out sources, and might 
help in cases where autoreconf itself has been upgraded.

GNU make should do this automatically when things go well, but there are 
a lot of reasons timestamps can be messed up in a source tree and 
autogen.sh should try to be helpful when recovering from such problems.

Subject: autogen.sh doesn't update stale autoconf files in build-aux
From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 11:17:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While troubleshooting a problem with configure on my system, I found
that autogen.sh never updated these autoconf files in build-aux, so they
were still the same as when they had been generated/copied three years
ago:

build-aux/compile
build-aux/config.guess
build-aux/config.sub
build-aux/install-sh
build-aux/missing
build-aux/depcomp

Apparently these files are just checked for existence unless the
"--force" option is also given (which autogen.sh doesn't do).  I'm
currently using autoconf 2.69 if that matters.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds