Subject: Re: bug#17258: autogen.sh doesn't update stale autoconf files in build-aux

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:30:43 +0200

[would you please not quote full email addresses?]

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> My expectation would be that any call to autogen.sh would re-create
>> these files.
>
> That's not enough (assuming we indeed want these files to be
> re-created automatically): just running "make" will invoke the
> autotools as needed.  In fact, after the initial invocation of
> autogen.sh, you should normally never again need to run it by hand.

The Makefile (at least on GNU/Linux) actually calls autotools through
autogen.sh and not directly.  And since that is so, whether or not I
call it by hand or through the Makefile doesn't change the fact that
after an upgrade of autotools on your system or if you've somehow edited
or damaged those files you'll end up with stale files in build-aux that
may or may not work correctly.

It may not be appropriate to unconditionally replace these files each
times autoreconf is run, but there should be at least an option for
autogen.sh to do this.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada