Subject: bug#17255: 24.3.90; Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 23:11:24 +0200

I upgraded the emacs-24 branch (should be close to the just-released
24.3.90 pretest), and was greeted with an unpleasant warning:

,----
| Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.  (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
`----

Running "make bootstrap" did not help.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2014-04-12 on turtle
Repository revision: 116951 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500901
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --without-gconf
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 build_alias=i486-pc-linux-gnu'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e <help-echo> p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils warnings time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
nil