Subject: bug#17196: UTF-8 printf string formating problem

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 12:16:15 +0200

Hello,

Chet Ramey <[email-masked]> wrote:
 |On 4/10/14, 12:16 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |
 |> Even better would nonetheless be the great picture with
 |> a termios(4) IUTF8 flag, some extended xywidth(3) that returns
 |> a tuple of {[EastAsianWidth indication,] is-combining,
 |> width-if-non-combining} and best even some composition function.
 |
 |But we have always been at war with EastAsia!

I see you really would love to get a hand from POSIX too:

  ?0[steffen@sherwood bash-4.3]$ grep -r UNICODE_COMB .                                                                                             
  ./lib/readline/display.c:      if (t > 0 && UNICODE_COMBINING_CHAR (wc) && WCWIDTH (wc) == 0)
  ./lib/readline/rlmbutil.h:#define UNICODE_COMBINING_CHAR(x) ((x) >= 768 && (x) <= 879)
  ./lib/readline/rlmbutil.h:#  define WCWIDTH(wc) ((_rl_utf8locale && UNICODE_COMBINING_CHAR(wc)) ? 0 : wcwidth(wc))

And sorry for not making this clear for those who never dealt with
the problem (which is probably not uncommon for filesystem or
other kernel hackers): `EastAsianWidth' refers to a property of
Unicode and ISO 10646:

  # EastAsianWidth-6.3.0.txt
  # Date: 2013-02-05, 20:09:00 GMT [KW, LI]
  #
  # East Asian Width Properties
  #
  # This file is an informative contributory data file in the
  # Unicode Character Database.
  #
  # Copyright (c) 1991-2013 Unicode, Inc.
  # For terms of use, see http://www.unicode.org/terms_of_use.html

--steffen

...
To be honest i must admit i first was pissed, so let me append the
original first part of this message, please:

  and so the landslide had brought it down.
  But i would quote Paul Vixie, who stated in a todays' message

    gentlemen and ladies, we have met the enemy, and they are our
    egos.

    vixie

  From my point of view it's the matter of culture and philosophy
  (including religion) how to deal with that very problem.
  And i can assure you that Jehovas Witnesses, which visit me
  regulary for some years now, like to drink a bit of my Buddhistic
  tea.

Paul Vixie is correct.
I am stupid.
With greetings from someone who will undergo his 42nd birthday soon