Subject: bug#17172: 24.3.50; Timeouts when pasting from mouse

From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:33:16 +0200

Le 17/04/2014 09:53, Jan Djärv a écrit :
> How do you determine "empty"? If there is no selection owner,
> XConvertSelection should say so at once, and there would be no
> timeout.

IIRC I meant that from another emacs session, 'nil' was returned by M-:
(x-get-selection 'SECONDARY).

> 1) Who owns the selection, i.e. the application copied from?

It did not matter whether I was copying from firefox, thunderbird,
okular or even another emacs session (these are the softwares I use most
of the time). I must admit I probably did not make a conscious test
"what if I try copying from there and then pasting in emacs", but I did
test a lot of things (although obviously not the right set of things),
and would have noticed such an obvious pattern. I hope.

Also I found it weird that the timeout problem happens with PRIMARY,
SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD, no matter which one I choose.

> 2) What desktop environment is used?

I use Gnome 2. I have some kde softwares (okular) but I don't run KDE.

> Your statement of empty selection above suggests that you do run such
> software, possibly without realizing it.

Possibly. I looked at:
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/19370/gnome-alternatives-equivalent-for-klipper>
which lists a few of the "klipper equivalents for gnome", and I can find
none of these on my system (I'm using Gentoo). Is it worth checking more
? Is there something I can do to check reliably ?

-- 
Nico.