Subject: bug#17159: 24.3.50; error on `cd $d` in interactive shell

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:28:40 -0400

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.19)
 of 2014-03-18 on sds-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

in interactive shell:

for d in *; do if test -d $d/.git; cd $d; pwd; git pull; cd ..; fi; done

==>

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable")
  signal(error ("No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable"))
  error("No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable")
  cd(#("$d" 0 2 (fontified t)))
  shell-cd(#("$d" 0 2 (fontified t)))
  shell-process-cd(#("$d" 0 2 (fontified t)))
  #...
  funcall...
  shell-directory-tracker(#("for d in *; do if test -d $d/.git; cd $d; pwd; git pull; cd ..; fi; done\n" 0 23 (fontified t) 23 25 (face font-lock-comment-face fontified t) 25 72 (fontified t)))
  run-hook-with-args(shell-directory-tracker #("for d in *; do if test -d $d/.git; cd $d; pwd; git pull; cd ..; fi; done\n" 0 23 (fontified t) 23 25 (face font-lock-comment-face fontified t) 25 72 (fontified t)))
  comint-send-input()
  call-interactively(comint-send-input nil nil)
  command-execute(comint-send-input)

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode)  S)))
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Features:
(sgml-mode rect image-mode apropos two-column info term ehelp tabify man
srecode/srt-mode semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db semantic/format srecode/template
srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/ctxt
srecode/ctxt semantic/tag-ls semantic/find srecode/compile
srecode/dictionary srecode/table srecode eieio-base semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet clhs inf-lisp conf-mode arc-mode archive-mode rot13 python
cc-langs tramp-cmds shadow emacsbug shr-color color smtpmail canlock
bbdb-message mailalias sendmail cookie1 nnir url-http url-gw url-auth
url-queue url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util flow-fill grep nndoc shr
mm-archive qp sort gnus-fun smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-dup mail-extr gnus-ml spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap utf-7
nnimap utf7 parse-time gnus-cache gnus-sum bbdb-gnus netrc gnutls nntp
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win edebug disp-table network-stream starttls
tls pp smerge-mode diff noutline outline find-dired cal-move cal-x
mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-julian holidays hol-loaddefs
cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver etags skeleton dabbrev ispell log-edit message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util misearch
multi-isearch whitespace diff-mode easy-mmode vc-arch vc-mtn vc-bzr
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs time-stamp cl-indent jka-compr eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro
derived help-mode debug cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine make-mode sh-script smie dired-aux dired
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-hg sql view vc-git add-log
edit-server-autoloads package midnight warnings gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb
bbdb-site timezone rcirc server which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt
desktop frameset cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme
thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1265
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://dhimmi.com http://www.memritv.org
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tap12009/ http://memri.org
A snake who stung your enemy is not necessarily your friend.