Subject: bug#17156: [PATCH 2/5] Revert conversion to shell scripts

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:02:32 +0200

Il 01/04/2014 18:07, Paul Eggert ha scritto:
> On 04/01/2014 08:08 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Unless I misunderstand, this is clearly not possible since "grep" does
>> have to deal with -E and -F.
>
> Yes, sorry I was not clear.  Of course 'grep' must implement -E and -F.
> But this does not require acollection of C code in which fgrep.c,
> egrep.c, and grep.c collide with another batch of C code in subtle
> ways.  Instead, all we should need (if we want egrep.c and fgrep.c to be
> in C) is to have egrep.c exec 'grep', and likewise for fgrep.c.
>
> There may be other ways to do it, but the point is to keep it reaallly
> simple, and separated from grep.c, so that people who maintain grep
> don't have to worry about egrep and fgrep unless they're actually
> *working* on egrep and fgrep (which should be never....).  This is the
> separation of concerns that I referred to.

Yeah, understood now.  I'm not sure how this is not satisfied by the 
current code though. :)  It's already a big step forward from the 
manually-listed objects of grep 2.5.x.

Paolo