Subject: bug#17153: closed (Re: bug#17153: Bug report)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:59:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17153: Bug report

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17153: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17153
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17153: Bug report
From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 18:58:34 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

parted 2.3 is very old and no longer supported here.  You should
report this to your distribution instead.  This particular bug was
fixed long ago in parted, and the fix backported to debian based distros.

On 03/31/2014 06:05 PM, lev abalkin wrote:
> Hello there!
> 
> After creating a rather small partition on a pendrive (1000KB) I
> used partprobe and got the following:
> 
> 
> Backtrace has 12 calls on stack: 12:
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_assert+0x2e)
> [0x7fc80e84e2ee] 11: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3e04d)
> [0x7fc80e87804d] 10: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3e43e)
> [0x7fc80e87843e] 9: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x40c73)
> [0x7fc80e87ac73] 8:
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_disk_add_partition+0x163) 
> [0x7fc80e854053] 7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3f72b)
> [0x7fc80e87972b] 6: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x407c3)
> [0x7fc80e87a7c3] 5:
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_disk_new+0x58) 
> [0x7fc80e8544f8] 4: partprobe() [0x4013a0] 3: partprobe(main+0x20e)
> [0x4011fe] 2:
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd) 
> [0x7fc80d7f4ead] 1: partprobe() [0x401249] A bug has been detected
> in GNU Parted.  Refer to the web site of parted 
> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html for more information
> of what could be useful for bug submitting!  Please email a bug
> report to [email-masked] containing at least the version (2.3)
> and the following message:  Assertion (head_size > 0) at 
> ../../../libparted/labels/dos.c:661 in function 
> probe_partition_for_geom() failed. Abgebrochen
> 
> I hope this is helpful in some way. Do you need any more
> information?
> 
> Thanks for all your awsome work so far and all the best for the
> future! A loyal fan and user of GNU software
> 
> 
> 

Subject: Bug report
From: lev abalkin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 00:05:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello there!

After creating a rather small partition on a pendrive (1000KB) I used
partprobe and got the following:

Backtrace has 12 calls on stack:
  12: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_assert+0x2e) [0x7fc80e84e2ee]
  11: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3e04d) [0x7fc80e87804d]
  10: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3e43e) [0x7fc80e87843e]
  9: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x40c73) [0x7fc80e87ac73]
  8: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_disk_add_partition+0x163)
[0x7fc80e854053]
  7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x3f72b) [0x7fc80e87972b]
  6: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(+0x407c3) [0x7fc80e87a7c3]
  5: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0(ped_disk_new+0x58)
[0x7fc80e8544f8]
  4: partprobe() [0x4013a0]
  3: partprobe(main+0x20e) [0x4011fe]
  2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)
[0x7fc80d7f4ead]
  1: partprobe() [0x401249]
A bug has been detected in GNU Parted.  Refer to the web site of parted
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html for more information of
what could be useful for bug submitting!  Please email a bug report to
[email-masked] containing at least the version (2.3) and the
following message:  Assertion (head_size > 0) at
../../../libparted/labels/dos.c:661 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed.
Abgebrochen

I hope this is helpful in some way. Do you need any more information?

Thanks for all your awsome work so far and all the best for the future!
A loyal fan and user of GNU software