Subject: bug#17150: Stale bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz files are not detected

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:51:22 -0400

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I just realized that my x86_64 and Loongson 3A systems have spent an
>> enormous amount of time building the new guix master branch based on
>> outdated bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz.
>>
>> The issue is that if you simply "git pull" from a build directory with
>> older versions of bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz, although the various
>> places where the hashes are stored are updated, those new hashes are
>> never checked against the existing files.  Therefore, you can proceed to
>> build an entire system based on an outdated bootstrap guile, and with
>> hashes that don't match what's on hydra and what other people are
>> building.
>
> Right, ‘guix pull’ doesn’t survive updates of the bootstrap Guile
> tarballs, because it doesn’t try to download it (see ‘build-guix’ in
> guix/build/pull.scm.)  That’s rare in practice, but still a serious
> limitation as you note.  :-/

Hmm, yes, I suppose that "guix pull" is more relevant for typical users,
but actually that's not what I was talking about above.  I was talking
about "git pull" followed by "make".

> There are other things to do in ‘guix pull’, such as authentication, and
> improved bandwidth usage.  For the latter an option would be to resort
> to git, and perhaps for the former too.

Yes, it seems to me that git is a good tool for this job.

      Mark