Subject: bug#17149: shred - tape data

From: Rupert Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 08:03:03 +0000

Paul,

Interesting challenge you set extracting the last few lines from a 4 gig file, but I've passed that test I think. (Used Less..)

read(3, "\374\204\234\317t\\\216)\224\225d\244\372\3741\265P\203}\177\226\226\273\213V9\205\331v6\331\315"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, "\374\204\234\317t\\\216)\224\225d\244\372\3741\265P\203}\177\226\226\273\213V9\205\331v6\331\315"..., 12288) = 12288
read(3, "\335\331|\27\26\r*.\270k@>&\365\315*\362'\321b0\2240KQ!\212\2\336\25\276\5"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, "\335\331|\27\26\r*.\270k@>&\365\315*\362'\321b0\2240KQ!\212\2\336\25\276\5"..., 12288) = 12288
read(3, "\321`\346>\360\276R\250{\1\371\37\2553\341\357\21\247\24=~*g\270\235\204\301-\256zQ\261"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, "\321`\346>\360\276R\250{\1\371\37\2553\341\357\21\247\24=~*g\270\235\204\301-\256zQ\261"..., 12288) = 12288
read(3, "\316\177\377\254\347\231\226\233_v;$\211\330~Y\345\230\27\17\231\352A\177'\351\31\326\3135\220\372"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, "\316\177\377\254\347\231\226\233_v;$\211\330~Y\345\230\27\17\231\352A\177'\351\31\326\3135\220\372"..., 12288) = -1 ENOSPC (No space left on device)
write(2, "shred: ", 7)                  = 7
write(2, "/dev/st0: pass 1/3 (random)...19"..., 48) = 48
write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
fdatasync(4)                            = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
fsync(4)                                = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
sync()                                  = 0
fdatasync(4)                            = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
fsync(4)                                = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
sync()                                  = 0
lseek(4, 0, SEEK_SET)                   = 0
write(2, "shred: ", 7)                  = 7
write(2, "/dev/st0: pass 2/3 (random)...", 30) = 30
write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
read(3, ";\214\272\247\374S\261\312]=\306\r\215\355F\24\32\204!l9KD\337\227\273=\376s\361^\272"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, ";\214\272\247\374S\261\312]=\306\r\215\355F\24\32\204!l9KD\337\227\273=\376s\361^\272"..., 12288) = 12288
read(3, "d\30\203*\363\230\356I\210\363\304\227\235\327\257\302\307RYg\363\343\230\300\354\315i\f\220\241oF"..., 12288) = 12288
write(4, "d\30\203*\363\230\356I\210\363\304\227\235\327\257\302\307RYg\363\343\230\300\354\315i\f\220\241oF"..., 12288) = -1 ENOSPC (No space left on device)
write(2, "shred: ", 7)                  = 7
write(2, "/dev/st0: error writing at offse"..., 39) = 39
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-bundle/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-bundle/en_GB.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = 5
fstat(5, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=1474, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 1474, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 5, 0) = 0x7f3e20dc8000
close(5)                                = 0
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-bundle/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-bundle/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-bundle/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, ": No space left on device", 25) = 25
write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
close(4)                                = 0
close(3)                                = 0
close(1)                                = 0
close(2)                                = 0
exit_group(1)                           = ?

Hopefully it'll make some sense.

Regards

Rupert Russell
OPERATIONS MANAGER

Ilmor Engineering Ltd
Quarry Road, Brixworth, Northamptonshire, NN6 9UB, UK

Direct:     +44 (0)1604 799105
Main:       +44 (0)1604 799100
Web:       www.ilmor.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Eggert [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 01 April 2014 14:51
To: Rupert Russell
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#17149: shred - tape data

Rupert Russell wrote:
> shred -o tracefile -v /dev/st0

Ouch, sorry, I meant "strace -o tracefile shred -v /dev/st0".

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com ______________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________

This e-mail may contain confidential and /or privileged information. If you 
are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)please 
notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, 
disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden.

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com