Subject: Re: bug#17148: 23.1; Revert Buffer

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 20:04:28 +0200

tags 17148 - notabug
fixed 17148 24.4
thanks

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> Emacs is not notified, when a file changes its state outside Emacs. Only
>> prior to writing to a file Emacs checks, whether a file has changed on disk.
>
> Why can't the revert-buffer menu-item check the file mode bits match,
> the same way it verifies the modtime? IMO it should just call
> file-attributes once, and use that to check time and permissions.

Hmm, I wanted to implement something with file notifications.

However, surprisingly this problem is reproducible in Emacs 23, but it
is NOT reproducible with Emacs 24.3.50. This is because
`revert-buffer-function' is set to `revert-buffer--default' since last
year.

My analysis was wrong, but the result (not a bug) is somehow right for
Emacs 24.3. We shall changed that to "Fixed in 24.4", 'tho.

Best regards, Michael.