Subject: Re: bug#17146: 24.4.50; File save with incapable coding system precluded by strange error message

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:54:24 +0300

> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 08:30:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > This change is backward-incompatible, but is not in NEWS for some
> > reason.  Needless to say, the canonical way of fixing the fallout is
> > not described in NEWS.  Are functions that need Help mode supposed to
> > let-bind these hooks?  If so, the patch below should fix the problem.
> > In any case, please document the change and the way to adapt to it in
> > NEWS.
> 
> Please see bug #17109.  FWIW, this regression really bothers me.

I read the mailing list, so I'm perfectly aware of that bug and the
related discussions.  Please don't hijack this bug to hold it hostage
to that one.  This bug is about a related issue, but one thing it is
_not_ about is reverting the change in question.  So talking here
instead of on #17109 is not useful.