Subject: bug#17142: closed (Re: bug#17142: 24.4.50; Initial frame geometry on OSX)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 07:49:05 +0000

Your bug report

#17142: 24.4.50; Initial frame geometry on OSX

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17142: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17142
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17142: 24.4.50; Initial frame geometry on OSX
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bernd Rellermeyer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 09:48:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I tested the fix in a recent release and found everything ok.
>
> Bernd Rellermeyer

Thanks.  Closing this bug.

martin

Subject: 24.4.50; Initial frame geometry on OSX
From: Bernd Rellermeyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:36:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When changing the default font and the height in default-frame-alist,
the width is not set correctly.  I have the following lines in the
.emacs file:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 71))

The default width, which is 80 characters, seems to be evaluated with
the default font, which is Monaco-12. Courier-14 is a bit wider, and
the initial frame is too narrow (it has only 70 characters per line).

When I change my settings to

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 80))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 71))

everything is fine.  When I change my settings to

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))

leaving the height as ist is, the width of 80 characters per line is
also set correctly.

I am still on OS X Lion (10.7.5).

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2014-03-29 on bob.porkrind.org
Repository revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
 --with-ns'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-texinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-publish
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-odt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-odt
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-md hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-md
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-man hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-man
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-latex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-html
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-beamer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-version hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-version
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-pcomplete hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-macro hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macro
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-loaddefs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-entities hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-element hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-element
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-docview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-ctags hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-capture hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-tangle hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sqlite hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sql hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-shen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sh hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sh
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-screen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-scheme hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-scala hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scala
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ruby hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-R hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-plantuml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-picolisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-perl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-octave hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ocaml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-mscgen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-maxima hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-matlab hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-makefile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lilypond hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ledger hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-keys hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-js hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-java hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-io hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-io
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-haskell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-gnuplot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-fortran hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-eval hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-dot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ditaa hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-css hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-core hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-core
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-comint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-clojure hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-calc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-C hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-awk hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-asymptote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils info easymenu package time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 83239 6653)
 (symbols 48 18247 0)
 (miscs 40 77 156)
 (strings 32 14002 4505)
 (string-bytes 1 390065)
 (vectors 16 10073)
 (vector-slots 8 373944 6113)
 (floats 8 56 80)
 (intervals 56 215 0)
 (buffers 960 12))