Subject: 24.4.50; daemon mode: closing X client frame exits entire emacs

From: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 23:47:40 +0100

Emacs compiled from git sources pulled 2014-03-26.  I have a tiny local
patch to startup.el that loads debian-startup in addition to the normal
site-run-file (as long as site-run-file is non-nil), otherwise the
sources are clean.  I ran autoreconf and configure, then built with
"make bootstrap".

This triggers the behaviour:

$ emacs -no-site-file -no-init-file --daemon=test
$ emacsclient -nc -s test

In emacs frame: C-x 5 0

The minibuffer flashes "No files need saving", the frame closes, and the
emacs process is gone.  Subsequent emacsclient invocations naturally
fail with the messages

emacsclient: connect: Connection refused
emacsclient: error accessing socket "test"

This does _not_ trigger the behaviour:

$ emacs -no-site-file -no-init-file --daemon=test
$ emacsclient -t -s test

In emacs frame: C-x 5 0

The terminal frame exits, but I can reconnect again with another
emacsclient call.

Another way of _not_ triggering it:

$ emacs -Q --daemon=test
$ emacsclient -nc -s test

Again I can exit the frame with C-x 5 0 and immediately reconnect, as
expected.

The only difference I could find between "-Q" and "-no-site-file
-no-init-file" was that "-Q" sets inhibit-x-resources to t in
startup.el.  This sort of ties in to the problem only showing up when I
start X frames, but I am at a loss as to how to dig deeper.

I have some ancient X resources influencing emacs, but I fail to see how
they can have an impact.  Here's the output of "xrdb -query | grep -i
emacs":
Emacs*background:	black
Emacs*cursorColor:	SeaGreen
Emacs*font:	7x13
Emacs*foreground:	DarkSeaGreen
Emacs*menubar.background:	Black
Emacs*menubar.bottomShadowColor:	DimGray
Emacs*menubar.font:	-*-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-*-*-*-*-70-iso8859-1
Emacs*menubar.foreground:	DarkSeaGreen
Emacs*menubar.margin:	0
Emacs*menubar.topShadowColor:	DarkGray
Emacs*pointerColor:	SlateGrey
Emacs*popup.font:	-*-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-*-*-*-*-70-iso8859-1
Emacs*shadowThickness:	1
Emacs*verticalScrollBars.background:	Black
Emacs*verticalScrollBars.foreground:	DarkSeaGreen
Emacs.geometry:	85x75+0+0

Does any of this ring a bell for someone?  Any ideas for where I should
be looking?  Any more relevant info I should provide?

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-03-26 on luna
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10402000
System Description:	Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-git
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.92/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.92/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-pop=yes'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r SPC e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils server time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77836 8053)
 (symbols 48 17986 0)
 (miscs 40 45 113)
 (strings 32 11943 4704)
 (string-bytes 1 319662)
 (vectors 16 10109)
 (vector-slots 8 382979 8265)
 (floats 8 71 60)
 (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 23942 627))