Subject: 24.3.50; Occasional Extremely Slow Redraws in OSX Emacs

From: Eric Froemling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 14:23:28 -0700

Hello,
I've been using various OSX emacs builds from http://emacsformacosx.com
for a few years now.  I'm on a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15".  Every so
often when I am resizing the emacs frame or window I get a single
extremely slow redraw.  Here's a screen-capture video I was able to 
take of one just now as it was occurring:
http://www.files.froemling.net/misc/SlowEmacs.mov

I have not found a way to reliably reproduce these, though they happen
somewhat regularly when I am working.  Please let me know if there's
any other info I can provide or anything I can do on my end to help
get to the bottom of this.
Thanks much,
-Eric Froemling

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2014-03-03 on bob.porkrind.org
Repository revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
`configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
--with-ns'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-n C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x C-f b s F l a <tab> g <tab> h <return> 
C-s r e n d e r e r : : C-e C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b 
C-SPC C-e C-b M-w <M-return> M-< C-s f l a g n o d 
e : : C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p <return> <return> C-a C-y C-p C-n <tab> . m 
a r k U s e r M a n a g e d O b j e c t ( ) ; <return> 
C-p C-p <return> <tab> / / SPC t e l l SPC e m b e 
d d e d SPC o b j e c t s SPC n o t SPC t o SPC c o 
m p l i <backspace> a i n SPC a b o u t SPC y <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> w h e n SPC t h e y <return> <tab> / / 
SPC d i e SPC u n <backspace> <backspace> n o t SPC 
v i a SPC a SPC r e f e r e n c e . C-p C-e <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> a b o u t SPC n o t SPC h a v i n g SPC 
r e f s C-n C-a C-k C-k C-x C-s C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
M-x r e p o r t SPC e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /Users/ericf/Documents/bombsquad/src/bsSpazNode.cpp
Saving file /Users/ericf/Documents/bombsquad/src/bsSpazNode.cpp...
Wrote /Users/ericf/Documents/bombsquad/src/bsSpazNode.cpp
Making completion list...
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [2 times]
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Saving file /Users/ericf/Documents/bombsquad/src/bsFlagNode.cpp...
Wrote /Users/ericf/Documents/bombsquad/src/bsFlagNode.cpp

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils tex-mode latexenc kmacro
make-mode shell pcomplete misearch multi-isearch windmove add-log
which-func cc-langs cl cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs python help-mode imenu
cus-edit server saveplace paren recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs
cl-lib easymenu grep compile comint ansi-color ring hl-line delsel
cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)