Subject: bug#17122: More problems with --no-substitutes

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:22:12 -0400

I should have pasted the output of the 'ps' command I did immediately
after this error.  Here it is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
mhw:~/guix-core-updates$ ./pre-inst-env guix build -S expect lua zip pth bazaar ocaml
substitute-binary: Backtrace:
substitute-binary: In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
substitute-binary:  157: 0 [catch #t #<catch-closure 107fb4f0> ...]
substitute-binary: 
substitute-binary: ice-9/boot-9.scm:157:17: In procedure catch:
substitute-binary: ice-9/boot-9.scm:157:17: In procedure system-async-mark: thread has already exited
  C-c C-c
mhw:~/guix-core-updates$ ps auxww | grep guix-daemon
mhw       1275  3.0  0.2   5248  2688 pts/0    S+   11:40   0:00 grep guix-daemon
root     13020  0.0  0.2   7552  2496 tty6     S+   Mar22   0:00 guix-daemon --no-substitutes --build-users-group=guix-builder
root     14429  0.1  0.9  15808 10304 ?        Ss   Mar26   1:05 guix-daemon 14425            --build-users-group=guix-builder
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Notice that there's another 'guix-daemon' process here (pid 14429) which
I didn't start, and which has "--build-users-group=guix-builder" but is
missing "--no-substitutes".

Could it be that there's some code in 'guix-daemon' that launches
another 'guix-daemon' subprocess, and which takes care to propagate some
of the options but not all of them?

      Mark