Subject: RE: bug#17109: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: `with-output-to-temp-buffer' is broken

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

> > (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Help*" (princ help-text))
> 
> Does (with-help-window (help-buffer) (princ help-text)) work for you?

Which part of "regression" and "it needs to work across multiple
Emacs versions" do you not understand?

I have lots of occurrences of `with-output-to-temp-buffer', and
I am only one maintainer of some 3rd-party code.

And `with-output-to-temp-buffer' is not even deprecated.  And
even if it were deprecated now, it should still be supported as is
until desupported.  And support does not mean changing its behavior
so code that uses it no longer works.  And desupport does not mean
keeping it around but with a broken behavior.

There is _no_ scenario in which it should be broken.

Emacs can reasonably come up with and use new, different macros.
What it cannot reasonably do is break this macro.  IIUC, Emacs
code does not even need to use this macro anymore.  Why on Earth
gratuitously break code that does use it?

This should be a no-brainer.