Subject: bug#17105: [PATCH 4/4] tests: Use msdos-overlap to setup t0283

From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:07:12 -0700

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:49:57PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 01:56 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> > xxd isn't present in minimal build systems, as it is part of vim.
> > Change to using a simple python script to mangle the msdos
> > disklabel for the test.
> 
> Hrm... on Debian based systems vim is part of the minimal seed, but
> python is not.  I suppose we could switch to python, but I'm curious;
> redhat does not consider vim to be the most basic and essential text
> editor to have in a minimalist environment?

You added the gpt-header-move.py so I assumed you had python available,
we use it everywhere. In Fedora the buildroots are very minimal, so vim
is not needed or included in them.

I'd rather see us depending on something standard like Python which can
be used for a wide variety of things than a single purpose tool like
xxd.

-- 
Brian C. Lane | Anaconda Team | IRC: bcl #anaconda | Port Orchard, WA (PST8PDT)