Subject: 24.3.50; Info-index doesn't call its completing-read in current-buffer.

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 07:03:12 +0100

Hi,

when in a info buffer and calling `Info-index' ("i") the buffer
`Info-complete-menu-buffer' is made current just to call
`Info-goto-index', then the `completing-read' is called from this buffer
instead of beeing called from `current-buffer'.
This is not needed because the collection function of the
`completing-read' (`Info-complete-menu-item') is making the
`Info-complete-menu-buffer' current to compute its data.

In emacs, there is no problem, it is working like this, however in
external application like helm, it cause problems.

See https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/456

With this patch it change nothing in emacs and solve our problem:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/lisp/info.el b/lisp/info.el
index a5ad5be..25a5f86 100644
--- a/lisp/info.el
+++ b/lisp/info.el
@@ -3278,9 +3278,10 @@ Give an empty topic name to go to the Index node itself."
       (if (equal Info-current-file "dir")
 	  (error "The Info directory node has no index; use m to select a manual"))
       (unwind-protect
-	  (with-current-buffer Info-complete-menu-buffer
-	    (Info-goto-index)
-	    (completing-read "Index topic: " 'Info-complete-menu-item))
+           (progn
+             (with-current-buffer Info-complete-menu-buffer
+               (Info-goto-index))
+             (completing-read "Index topic: " 'Info-complete-menu-item))
 	(kill-buffer Info-complete-menu-buffer)))))
   (if (equal Info-current-file "dir")
       (error "The Info directory node has no index; use m to select a manual"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-03-23 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptative-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <return> v <left> M-x w 3 m <down> <down> 
<return> <down> <down> <up> <up> <tab> <down> <down> 
<down> <return> M-x <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <return> <down> <down> <down> Q y <f7> C-g 
C-g <f8> U b u b t <return> n n <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> n <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> n <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> q q q C-x C-d C-g <f11> 
s c M-> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-d <up> 
<f8> U b u <return> n n n <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> p p p q q q C-x C-b <down> <down> 
<return> M-y C-g M-x r e p o r t - e m <return>

Recent messages:
Preparing diary...
No diary entries for Mardi, 25 Mars 2014
Preparing diary...done
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 12000, updated 5
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 12556, updated 5, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
[mu4e] Found 4 matching messages

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug helm-w3m helm-command conf-mode helm-firefox gnus-html
url-cache flow-fill mm-archive helm-sys w3m-form w3m-filter w3m-cookie
w3m-bookmark w3m-tabmenu w3m-session helm-semantic helm-imenu imenu
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet helm-dabbrev epa-mail etags help-mode
edebug helm-ring cl-indent qp gnus-fun smiley gnus-cite mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder parse-time
netrc network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache magit-cherry magit-bisect magit-log-edit
log-edit add-log magit-key-mode magit view ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff-mode
magit-compat mule-util vc-rcs sh-script smie executable vc-git
naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server
persistent-sessions config-w3m w3m-search w3m timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util
w3m-load golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff image-file newsticker
newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend
xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension
em-term term disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python
eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time avoid recentf tree-widget
savehist mu4e-config helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo smtpmail-async
smtpmail sendmail dired-async iterator simple-call-tree iedit-rect rect
iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit
rectangle-utils ledger-config ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg
esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs
pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake
no-word htmlize cl dired-extension emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit
emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score
emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue
emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-info emms-streams later-do
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-player-simple emms-setup emms
emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh org-crypt cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader firefox-protocol bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git
helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux
ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep helm-regexp grep
helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint ansi-color ring
helm-locate helm vc vc-dispatcher helm-config helm-aliases epa-file epa
derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
package info easymenu cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro advice help-fns
net-utils cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 671613 99166)
 (symbols 48 59843 89)
 (miscs 40 3156 4177)
 (strings 32 163235 14860)
 (string-bytes 1 8728940)
 (vectors 16 64001)
 (vector-slots 8 1782934 155708)
 (floats 8 2495 1312)
 (intervals 56 33058 3606)
 (buffers 960 215)
 (heap 1024 85811 6102))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997