Subject: Re: bug#17090: desktop.el saves unusable register data in register-alist

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:10:30 +0200

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 6:40 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It sounds like we should perhaps refer users to the C-x r f a command
> instead...

Currently, the function assigned to the C-x r map to save a frameset saves
all the frames, so in some uses, saving and restoring the window
configuration (which affects just one frame) is faster and cleaner. Also,
restoring a frameset not only restores the window configuration, but also
position on the screen.

Of course, it would be possible to add another command, or a prefix
parameter, to frameset-to-register, to save just the selected frame, and to
restore the frameset without moving the frame.

> But in any case, desktop.el probably shouldn't be saving
> these useless window configuration registers.

Definitely. It's wasted space and time, and does not serve any useful
purpose.

FWIW, I agree. Documenting the issue and filtering out the
window-configurations on desktop save seems like the easier answer right
now. Don't think it's really a very urgent or frequent issue.