Subject: bug#17087: cp -i/yes gets ignored

From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:53:21 GMT

Well, I concur that the new wording is an improvement in that it reduces
expectations, but is it really so impractical to get the behavior that
is actually to be desired?  I expect the sources are much too advanced
for it to be something like "force++;" after getting the "y" response :),
but maybe ... something ... ?

The current behavior is noticeably frustrating, because it seems so
unnecessarily stupid.

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2007-03/msg00130.html

Thus, I also agree with that person's frustration in the other
direction, although for me it is the situation that I complained about
that comes up far more often -- unnecessarily failing to overwrite
writable files, rather than unnecessarily asking about unwritable files.

But I'm not volunteering to write a patch, and I know the logic in this
area is a maze of twisty little passages, some alike and some different,
so ...

thanks,
k