Subject: bug#17074: closed (Re: bug#17074: 24.4.50; C-j is undefined in Emacs Lisp mode (and RET doesn't indent either))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 03:20:05 +0000

Your bug report

#17074: 24.4.50; C-j is undefined in Emacs Lisp mode (and RET doesn't indent either)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17074: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17074
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17074: 24.4.50; C-j is undefined in Emacs Lisp mode (and RET doesn't indent either)
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:19:32 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> You tell me.

No, you do, I have better things to do with my time.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.4.50; C-j is undefined in Emacs Lisp mode (and RET doesn't indent either)
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Up until recently, it was bad enough that you, in effect, swapped C-j
and RET behaviors.  Bad enough, meaning that I needed to use different
keys for different Emacs versions, by default.  But at least I could do
that.

In this version, you've gone a step further and eliminated any
newline-and-indent binding by default (AFAICT).

C-j used to do that.  And recently RET had that effect.  Now neither key
does it.  And C-j isn't even bound by default!

Please stop this madness.  Could you please return to the behavior that
Emacs has always had in this regard: C-j to insert a newline and indent,
RET to just insert a newline?

Or if that's too much to ask, could you please revert to what you had
recently, so I can at least get newline-and-indent by hitting RET
instead of C-j?

Yes, I can customize things, once you stop changing things and I figure
out what the right way to customize things is.

FWIW, NEWS is no help in this regard.  You've introduced a regression in
longstanding behavior (you will call it an improvement, no doubt),
apparently without telling users how to simply get back the previous
behavior.  Shame.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-03-21 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116829 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib'