Subject: bug#17073: 24.3.50; file-symlink-p doesn't return t as described in the doc

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 05:53:25 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>         [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:41:53 -0400
> 
> >> If the leading directories of @var{filename} include symbolic links,
> >> this function recursively follows them.
> >> Is this obvious?
> > Hard to say.  I think it's pretty obvious to those who are used to
> > semantics of symlinks (I actually find strange and even confusing the
> > fact that the manual insists on telling which functions follow links
> > and in which parts of the filename).  For those who are not used to
> > symlinks, I'm pretty sure even the above sentence does not say enough.
> 
> I think the sentence is more confusing than helpful.  To me it makes it
> sound like there something special going on, whereas it's just business
> as usual.

But the same is true for all the other places in files.texi which
document what functions follow symlinks and in which part(s) of their
arguments.  This one is just one such place, one of many.