Subject: bug#17061: 24.3.50; Gnus fails for self-signed certs when gnutls-verify-error is t

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:42:01 +0100

Hi there,

when gnutls-verify-error is t, Gnus fails to establish connections
to servers with self-signed certificates.  This is to be expected,
but I do not get any information about certificate problems at all.
Gnus just fails silently and reports the server as offline in the
*Server* buffer.

This happens when Gnus upgrades the connection via STARTTLS as well
as when I request TLS via nntp-open-tls-stream, e.g., for gmane:
(setq gnutls-verify-error t
      gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
	     (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
	     (nntp-port-number 563)
	     (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

I believe that some notification is necessary.

Thanks
Jens

P.S. Output of gnus-bug:
Ma Gnus v0.10
GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2014-03-21 on pcwi7557