Subject: Re: bug#17061: 24.3.50; Gnus fails for self-signed certs when gnutls-verify-error is t

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:30:23 +0100

On 2017-01-25, at 00:50, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> when gnutls-verify-error is t, Gnus fails to establish connections
>> to servers with self-signed certificates.  This is to be expected,
>> but I do not get any information about certificate problems at all.
>> Gnus just fails silently and reports the server as offline in the
>> *Server* buffer.
>
> Aren't there any messages from the gnutls layer saying what happened?
>
> I don't think there's any good mechanism to report these errors back up
> to the application layer...  or is there?

I don’t have 24.3.50 around any more.  More recent versions (24.5.1,
26.x) indeed show a reasonable certificate warning message and ask
whether to continue.

Best wishes
Jens