Subject: Re: bug#17059: 24.3; cannot view extracted text for a pdf

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 22:06:19 -0400

> go into emacs.  I will enclose my .emacs or attach.
[...]
> Then find a pdf with text.

What does "with text" mean, here?

> In emacs23 you immediately get the unable to render file prompt.

Hmm... no I get to see the PDF rendered by ghostscript.

> In 24, you get the pdf raw.

Hmm... no I get to see the PDF rendered by ghostscript.

> By the way, this is done from a text console.

Ah, now you tell us.  OK, starting over:

> In emacs23 you immediately get the unable to render file prompt.

Indeed, and it prompts me if I want to see the extracted text (I said
yes, and it did show me the text).

> In 24, you get the pdf raw.

Indeed.  I can't remember this being a conscious change, so it looks
like a bug.

> Now do escape-x and type docview-mode.
> Now you get the unable to render file prompt.

Yup, I get that too.

> When you hit y to the view extracted text instead, you get the
> following: DocView: process pdf->txt changed status to killed.

Hmmm... I don't see that here (with Debian's "emacs24 -nw -Q foo.pdf"),
it shows me the extracted text just fine.

        Stefan