Subject: bug#1705: 23.0.60; parallel build failure: `mh-e' was not provided

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:22:53 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  Markus Triska <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:30:33 -0500
> 
> > I added to lisp/Makefile.in a series of dependencies that should fix
> > the case of MH-E compilation.  Please see if this fixes the problem
> > for you.  If you have more than 2 processors, it would make sense to
> > try "make -j N" with values of N larger than 2, to increase the
> > probability of such a clash.
> 
> This won't solve it in general, because there are many circular
> dependencies among Elisp files.  Another approach is to just close the
> race condition: write the byte-compiled file to foo.elc.temp and then
> rename it atomically to foo.elc.

But adding dependencies is TRT on its own right, even if your
alternative is adopted.  As long as the byte compiler cannot grok
those dependencies by itself, that is.