Subject: bug#1705: 23.0.60; parallel build failure: `mh-e' was not provided

From: Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:34:40 -0800

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I added to lisp/Makefile.in a series of dependencies that should fix
>> the case of MH-E compilation.  Please see if this fixes the problem
>> for you.  If you have more than 2 processors, it would make sense to
>> try "make -j N" with values of N larger than 2, to increase the
>> probability of such a clash.
>
> This won't solve it in general, because there are many circular
> dependencies among Elisp files.  Another approach is to just close the
> race condition: write the byte-compiled file to foo.elc.temp and then
> rename it atomically to foo.elc.

Thanks Eli and Stefan. My laptop isn't a multi-processor box (yet) so
I can't be of more assistance. All I can say is that with the last big
MH-E reorganization going into MH-E 8.0, we eliminated all circular
dependencies within MH-E. I can't speak for the packages we require,
however.

-- 
Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD