Subject: Re: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:40:14 +0100

> 1) Put Emacs in the maximized state, or whatever is that is giving
 > trouble (just one frame).

I don't understand - was it Robert's problem that he wanted to save the
Emacs desktop with a maximized frame?  I only thought that _after
restoring_ the desktop, maximizing the frame didn't restore minibuffer
and title line.

So unless Robert says that this is the problem let's skip (1).

 > 2) Exit Emacs (saving the desktop)
 > 3) Copy the "(setq desktop-saved-frameset ...)" line from .emacs.desktop
 > 4) emacs -Q

Robert please try here both variants with and without -Q so we can see
whether something in your .emacs has any impact.

 > 5) paste the (setq desktop-saved-frameset ...) sexp into *scratch* and eval it
 > 6) eval the following:
 >     (frameset-restore desktop-saved-frameset
 >                       :reuse-frames t
 >                       :cleanup-frames t
 >                       :force-onscreen t)
 >
 > Then, repeat from 4) on, with the same desktop-saved-frameset value as
 > before, but call frameset-restore with :force-onscreen nil (or without
 > that line, nil is the default).
 >
 > Assuming that the problem reappears doing that, at least we have a
 > frameset that causes it, and then we can look into it and try to
 > understand what happens.

Thanks.  This is what I had in mind with "deferring loading the desktop
file until you have seen your initial frame".

If we can repeat the problem this way, we can use the debugger.

martin