Subject: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:03:22 +0100

> Even when I maximize (with a unbuggy frame) I still see the title
 > line, is this windows vs kde? I can't see anything in kde system
 > settings which might affect this.

Maximizing preserves the title.  Fullscreen (via F11) doesn't.

 >  > Sorry. How can a non-existent minibuffer disappear?
 >  >
 >
 > Sorry the context is after putting desktop-restore-frames to nil _on
 > startup_ the frame came up ok (as I said in the snipped bit of the
 > message you were replying to:
 >
 >       Unfortunately after Juanma's suggested change (and then reverting it
 >       and an emacs restart) I get the frame *with* a minibuffer but without
 >       the window decorations.)
 >
 > so it is there at startup but on 'maximize' (which isn't really
 > maximize) it disappears.
 >
 > Having just tried it again (and the exit put desktop-saved-frameset
 > back). I'm again getting a single frame with no decorations and no
 > minibuffer I'll save that desktop file - it looks to me as if there's
 > only one frame now in the desktop file (at least there's only one
 > frameset--id which I assume is the determinant)

Once more (I'm confused): What I wanted you to try is to get that bad
frame (the one without title decoration and without minibuffer) back on
screen.  Let's call this the "bad base state".  Now please in that state
do:

(1) Apply your window manager's key shortcut to maximize it and then the
     shortcut to restore its normal size.  Do title bar or minibuffer
     come back?

(2) In the bad base state type F11.  Does anything change?  Type F11
     again.  Does anything change this time?

For me the only explanation for a missing title in a normal-sized frame
is fullscreen mode gone astray.  Does anyone have a better explanation?

Thanks, martin