Subject: bug#17046: closed (Re: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:08:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17046: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17046
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:06:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In other words, I can remove the workaround for bug#14795 because it
> is unnecessary now.

Robert confirms that the change currently committed to the release
branch fixes the original problem (bad frames when restoring Emacs
from desktop) so I'm closing this report.

> The GTK bug with (tool-bar-lines . 0) should be filed as a new bug,
> IMHO, perhaps with a pointer to this one.

I'll do that.

Subject: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations
From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:08:31 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On starting emacs with desktop enabled the frame appears normal until
loading is complete when the window title/ iconize button etc disappears
together with the minibuffer. I have a screenshot of the frame (if
needed for clarity)

Commenting out these lines in .emacs gets rid of the problem

(desktop-save-mode 1)
(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save 'compile-command)
(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save 'compile-history)

though there's rather a lot of buffers created when those lines are
present!

If I create another frame that appears normal.

initial-frame-alist ;; is set to
((menu-bar-lines . 1) (background-color . "mint cream") (width . 120) (foreground-color . "DarkOrchid1") (font . "Inconsolata-12") (alpha . 90))

default-frame-alist ;; is set to 
((menu-bar-lines . 1) (background-color . "mint cream") (foreground-color . "DarkOrchid1") (font . "Inconsolata-12") (width . 80) (alpha . 90))

I did a build from bzr which produced this problem my previous build
(Dec 23rd 2013) didn't have this issue

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2014-03-14 on poulenc
Repository revision: 116756 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark set [2 times]
Setting up indent for shell type sh
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Wrote /home/robert/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 265 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message cl-macs gv rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail mail-utils arc-mode archive-mode make-mode autorevert
filenotify score-mode tar-mode vc-bzr js thingatpt diff-mode nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
vc-cvs texinfo dired-aux vc-svn perl-mode gud nroff-mode org-element
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func flyspell ispell tex-mode
compile shell pcomplete sgml-mode info sh-script smie executable vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-git which-func imenu cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
dired-x dired python comint ring ansi-color twittering-mode advice
identica-mode json url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap
longlines parse-time xml cl solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-hebrew
cal-julian holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs server tbemail org-install hi-lock desktop
frameset recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu paren
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)