Subject: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:23:02 +0100

>  > Thanks.  According to that dump you should see the minibuffer.
 >
 > Definitely no minibuffer, I had to do the M-: commands very carefully
 > as I couldn't see what I was typing!

Sorry, I forgot.  You can always insert such text in *scratch* and
evaluate it there.

 > (sorry I wasn't sure if you needed to do something special to
 > associate an image with a bug report, I'm just attaching it to the
 > email) I'm attaching the screenshot together with a normal emacs frame
 > for comparison

Very good.  It's still a complete mystery to me how the title line can
disappear.  Usually this happens only when the window manager thinks
(because Emacs told him) that the frame is fullscreen.

 > I'm running with a fairly standard kde plasma desktop - so the bit
 > above the menu bar is all missing (and the left hand frame is the
 > faulty one)
 >
 >
 >  > And what happens when you maximize the
 >  > frame and restore its normal size immediately afterwards?
 >  >
 >
 > Ah now that's interesting! When I maximize - selecting the relevant
 > frame in the toolbar and using that popup WM menu option (I've also
 > tried using M-<f10> and get the same result) the frame moves to the
 > top left of the screen but *doesn't* maximise it remains (AFAICT)
 > the same size and the minibuffer now disappears!

Sorry. How can a non-existent minibuffer disappear?

 > With no minibuffer I
 > then get
 >
 > #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*>
 >
 > for the frame parameter. When I take off maximisation the minibuffer
 > is restored - but still no window decorations.  Is this a kde/plasma
 > bug - or maybe a gtk/plasma bug?

As a rule, the title bar should disappear if and only if Emacs asked for
the frame to become fullscreen where it doesn't matter if the frame
actually is fullscreen.  For example, here on Windows I can make a frame
fullscreen via F11, maximize and demaximize it via Windows commands and
get a normal-sized frame without title.  So far I've not been able to
produce a similar behavior on GTK.

martin