Subject: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:08:31 +0000

On starting emacs with desktop enabled the frame appears normal until
loading is complete when the window title/ iconize button etc disappears
together with the minibuffer. I have a screenshot of the frame (if
needed for clarity)

Commenting out these lines in .emacs gets rid of the problem

(desktop-save-mode 1)
(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save 'compile-command)
(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save 'compile-history)

though there's rather a lot of buffers created when those lines are
present!

If I create another frame that appears normal.

initial-frame-alist ;; is set to
((menu-bar-lines . 1) (background-color . "mint cream") (width . 120) (foreground-color . "DarkOrchid1") (font . "Inconsolata-12") (alpha . 90))

default-frame-alist ;; is set to 
((menu-bar-lines . 1) (background-color . "mint cream") (foreground-color . "DarkOrchid1") (font . "Inconsolata-12") (width . 80) (alpha . 90))

I did a build from bzr which produced this problem my previous build
(Dec 23rd 2013) didn't have this issue

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2014-03-14 on poulenc
Repository revision: 116756 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark set [2 times]
Setting up indent for shell type sh
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Wrote /home/robert/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 265 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message cl-macs gv rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail mail-utils arc-mode archive-mode make-mode autorevert
filenotify score-mode tar-mode vc-bzr js thingatpt diff-mode nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
vc-cvs texinfo dired-aux vc-svn perl-mode gud nroff-mode org-element
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func flyspell ispell tex-mode
compile shell pcomplete sgml-mode info sh-script smie executable vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-git which-func imenu cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
dired-x dired python comint ring ansi-color twittering-mode advice
identica-mode json url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap
longlines parse-time xml cl solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-hebrew
cal-julian holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs server tbemail org-install hi-lock desktop
frameset recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu paren
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)