Subject: bug#17046: 24.3.50; On startup emacs frame has no minibuffer or windows decorations

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:21:32 +0100

> Having both is an error.
 > We should have only one parameter.  It's too late to fix it 24.4, but we
 > should fix it for 24.5.
 >
 > I think this parameter should be called `maximized' with values:
 >
 >    nil
 >    width
 >    height
 >    t
 >    fullscreen
 >
 > Is there some situation that is not covered by the above?

Yes.  On GNU/Linux maximize your frame, then type F11 twice.  What you
get is a maximized frame.  I presume this is the desired behavior.  To
get the same behavior on Windows you have to remember the state before
typing F11 the first time.

Note that F11 is not covered by the Windows API.  It's the application
that calculates the sizes and asks Windows to apply them, but as far as
Windows is concerned, a fullscreen is just the same as a normal window.
Now when we leave fullscreen mode we must somehow know whether to
restore to a maximized or a normal frame.  That's what the `maximized'
parameter is for - it remembers the previous state.

martin