Subject: Re: bug#17045: 24.3.50; feature request: rcirc-reconnect

From: Daimrod <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 23:03:45 +0900

Leo Liu <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2014-04-08 17:33 +0800, Daimrod wrote:
>> It would be nice if a hook was run with the old and the new process as
>> arguments.
>>
>> For example, shoes-off[1] would need it to update the process plist and
>> its inner structures.
>>
>> 1: https://github.com/nicferrier/shoes-off
>
> Please give more details about what it does and the requirements to
> support it. I probably won't have time to try 3rd party code.

Shoes-off is an IRC bouncer built on top of RCIRC. So basically, it uses
RCIRC to connect to IRC servers and listen on a specific port for
clients. When a clients connect, it is as if it was connected to the IRC
servers. To do that, shoes-off "binds" RCIRC processes to a client
connection and it uses process-plist to store this kind of information.

However, when a RCIRC connection is restarted, AFAIK it just means that
a new connection is established. So, from shoes-off's POV, the previous
RCIRC process is dead, hence it can not continue to forward the messages
between the RCIRC connection and the client.

That's why I would like a way to be notified when a RCIRC process is
replaced so that shoes-off can update the connections information. But
to do that, I would probably need more that just a notification, I would
need the old and the new process.

Best,

-- 
Daimrod/Greg