Subject: bug#17043: 24.3.50; xft isn't found on OS X 10.9.2 (Macports)

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:37:17 +0000

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> So it sounds to me like you need to set CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS before you run
> configure, so that emacs finds the versions you want it to find. At the
> moment I don't see an Emacs bug here.

Firstly, yes, this does seem to help, but it didn't solve the problem.

$ export CFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/X11/include/ -I/opt/local/lib/'
$ export LDFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/X11/include/ -I/opt/local/lib/'
$ export CPPFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/X11/include/ -I/opt/local/lib/'

For example, Emacs can now find libjpeg and giflib libraries that it
wasn't able to find, before, and it also tries to include the MacPorts
version of Xft.  However, here, I still get an error:

In file included from /opt/local/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:39:
/opt/X11/include/ft2build.h:56:10: fatal error: 'freetype/config/ftheader.h' file not found

Patching this file as I indicated before solves the problem.

I'll try addressing that point to the upstream developer for freetype.

The *possible* Emacs feature request: Shouldn't it be able to detect
that it's being built against MacPorts, and set the relevant flags
automatically?

-- 
Sent with my mu4e