Subject: bug#17043: 24.3.50; xft isn't found on OS X 10.9.2 (Macports)

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:12:16 +0000

I've recently tried to configure Emacs from bzr to build from source on
OS X 10.9.2 under X11.  But ./configure isn't finding my xft library:

 [...]
 checking for xft >= 0.13.0... yes CFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include
 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include
 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include '
 LIBS='-L/opt/local/lib -lXft '
 checking for XRenderQueryExtension in -lXrender... yes
 checking for X11/Xft/Xft.h... no
 [...]
   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no

Here's what I see when I run 

$ port contents xft2
Port Xft2 contains:
  /opt/local/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h
  /opt/local/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h
  /opt/local/lib/libXft.2.dylib
  /opt/local/lib/libXft.a
  /opt/local/lib/libXft.dylib
  /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/xft.pc
  /opt/local/share/man/man3/Xft.3.gz

Given the above, I'm not sure why the port isn't found/used.  Is it an
incompatible version?

$ port -v installed xft2
  Xft2 @2.3.1_1 platform='darwin 13' archs='x86_64'
  Xft2 @2.3.1_1+universal (active) platform='darwin 13' archs='i386 x86_64'

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.2, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-01-30 on Joes-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 116199 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11404000
Configured using:
 `configure --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: 1
  completion-in-region-mode: t

Recent input:
C-a M-f <backspace> 6 C-e <tab> <M-backspace> <backspace> 
<tab> <return> M-x <up> <return> C-x C-w <up> <up> 
C-a M-f <backspace> 6 C-e <return> C-x 1 C-v C-v C-s 
< t a C-a C-SPC C-e C-v C-v C-v C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-p C-e M-w C-x C-f 2 0 1 6 <backspace> 5 . <tab> <return> 
C-s < t a b l e C-a C-SPC C-s / t a b C-e M-w C-x b 
2 0 1 5 <backspace> 5 <backspace> 4 <tab> . <tab> <return> 
C-s < t a b C-a C-SPC C-s / t a b l C-e M-w C-z C-c 
C-c C-x k <return> y e s <return> C-z <C-up> <return> 
C-x b * o u <tab> <backspace> <tab> <return> <down> 
c d SPC p a r t <tab> <return> g i t SPC p u l l <return> 
j u b <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> k b d <return> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-g C-x C-f <M-backspace> 
t h e s <tab> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> k y <tab> 
<backspace> i <tab> <return> C-s p SPC p <down> C-s 
r SPC r <down> <up> <right> C-k M-v <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> C-e M-b C-k C-x C-s C-z 
C-x b * o u <tab> <backspace> t <tab> <return> <return> 
k b d <return> p r C-x b <up> <up> p C-g C-x b k <tab> 
i <tab> n <tab> <return> C-/ C-a C-SPC C-e M-w <tab> 
<M-tab> C-/ C-/ C-/ C-/ C-/ C-e C-SPC C-a M-w <tab> 
<M-tab> <M-tab> <M-tab> M-\ C-z <tab> <M-tab> <M-tab> 
<M-tab> M-x b u g - g n <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
e m <backspace> <backspace> r e p o <tab> t <tab> <backspace> 
r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 150000, updated 0
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 150191, updated 0, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 150000, updated 0
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 150191, updated 0, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 150000, updated 266
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 150458, updated 267, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] Contacts received: 92
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/thesis.git/config/elisp/tex-mode hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/textmodes/tex-mode

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-file url-dired sgml-mode ox-latex ox-icalendar
ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-table org-element org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
align highline disp-table whitespace erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat rfc2104 qp
mail-extr sort css-mode view rect mu4e mu4e-speedbar mu4e-main mu4e-view
epa epg epg-config mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc
mu4e-utils doc-view image-mode mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader hl-line mu4e-meta dired-aux eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe descr-text pp timezone parse-time apropos vc-git latexenc
conf-mode face-remap jka-compr debug shr-color color url-queue
network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap shr browse-url
crm thingatpt cus-edit help-mode sh-script smie executable dabbrev
pcmpl-unix etags misearch multi-isearch tabify imenu man python paren
cus-start cus-load w3m-load w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit mule-util dired-x
dired info-look info tex-mode pcase derived compile skeleton compare-w
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs edmacro kmacro tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs cl-macs gv trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec advice help-fns cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib comint
ansi-color ring shell-completion time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)