Subject: Re: bug#17040: 24.3.50; Emacs + Org mode hangs

From: Sebastien Vauban <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:30:28 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Sebastien Vauban <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:57:36 +0100
>> 
>> Anyway, here's the backtrace I got:
>
> Thanks for the effort, but as I said several times, such backtraces
> are not useful without the Lisp backtrace part.  All I can say from
> this backtrace is that you were deep inside some hook stored in
> before-change-functions; that hook was invoked because you inserted
> something into a buffer.  That is all.
>
> What we need is names of some Lisp functions, preferably from Org,
> that we could then examine in order to look for potential infloops.
> That's impossible without Lisp backtrace.  To get that, you need the
> .gdbinit file, and you need to instruct GDB to read it by using the
> 'source' command.

I still have that GDB session open... So I just did it:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(gdb) source ~/.gdbinit
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = xterm-256color
(gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
PC register is not available

Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgetptr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgetint"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgettype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pp"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pv"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "ppt"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pitmethod"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pitx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pit"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prowx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pcursorx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pcursor"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pwinx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pwin"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pbiditype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pg"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgi"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgn"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrowx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrowit"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prowlims"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pmtxrows"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xtype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pvectype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvectype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pvecsize"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvecsize"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmisctype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xint"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xptr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmarker"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xoverlay"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmiscfree"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsymbol"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xstring"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvector"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprocess"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xframe"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcompiled"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwindow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwinconfig"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsubr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xchartable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsubchartable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xboolvector"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbuffer"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xhashtable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcons"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "nextcons"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcar"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcdr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xlist"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfloat"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xscrollbar"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xpr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintstr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintsym"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcoding"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcharset"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfontset"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfont"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbacktrace"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintbytestr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwhichsymbols"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbytecode"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "hookpost-backtrace"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "ff"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = xterm-256color
(gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
PC register is not available
xbacktrace
(gdb) PC register is not available
An error occurred while in a function called from GDB.
Evaluation of the expression containing the function
(backtrace_top) will be abandoned.
When the function is done executing, GDB will silently stop.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Though, I must admit I don't understand what's going on. Can you?

Still keeping the session open, in case...

Best regards,
  Seb