Subject: bug#17036: Continuation for Emacs: invoking a process on exit?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:58:05 +0300

> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:29:20 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I eventually had an implementation idea that is much simpler than the
> above, so I went ahead and implemented it.  It currently doesn't work
> in a -nw session, I hope to debug that later.

The problems in the -nw session have something top do with the parent
releasing the console device and the restarted child attaching to it;
I'm unable to get that to work (not really surprising, as I know very
little about the subtleties of the Windows console sharing).  So for
now I just made restart-emacs fail in the -nw case on MS-Windows.

Btw, calling 'error' in this place, which we also do on Posix
platforms, is not very useful: this is past the call to
shut_down_emacs, so all 'error' does at this point is exit with an
error status, and the error message is lost.  Something to keep in
mind, I guess.