Subject: bug#17036: Continuation for Emacs: invoking a process on exit?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:18:34 +0200

> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:09:10 +0000
> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>, 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> > As long as it does what you want, fine.  But please note that this is
> > not the same as exiting Emacs and starting a new session, because the
> > original Emacs didn't shut down all the way, and the PID is the same.
> >
> 
> I think I'm still being unclear, sorry.
> 
> I am assuming that all the regular atexit handlers have already been
> called, and that Emacs is really about to exit. (That is what I mean by
> saying that kill-emacs has been run.) So, this could be implemented by
> ensuring that the first atexit handler to be registered on startup checks a
> "kill-emacs-and-exec" flag, and if it is set, does the exec.

Assuming a call to 'exec' is allowed in an atexit handler.  (I don't
know if it is.)