Subject: Re: bug#17021: 24.3.50; extension to hi-lock.el

From: David Koppelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:43:03 -0500

This does sound useful, but I'd need to see the patch. Use of this
variable should be guarded by hi-lock-file-patterns-policy too.

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> lee <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> | This is an extension to hi-lock mode (of bzr revno 116727):
>> | 
>> | You can use the buffer-local variable `hi-lock-patterns-file' to
>> | specify a file to write the higlighting-patterns to.  When this
>> | variable is set, the highlighting-patterns will be kept in a dedicated
>> | buffer instead of being written into the very file you`re editing.
>
> This patch unfortunately got no attention when it was posted seven years
> ago, and it no longer applies to Emacs 28.
>
> I am not a hi-lock user myself -- are there anybody else on the bugs
> mailing list here that can comment on whether this is something we'd
> want to add?  It does sound useful to me, but I'm not really familiar
> with how hi-lock works.